Friday, October 12
1:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Each short course will earn 3.5 PDHs.
CANCELLED - Women in Engineering - CANCELLED
This interactive session focuses on how topics such as representation, bias, ally‐ism, communication styles, work/life balance, gendered expectations, and workplace culture are impacting women in our profession. The course includes a presentation by Stephanie Slocum, P.E. and author of She Engineers: Outsmart Bias, Unlock your Potential, and Create the Engineering Career of Your Dreams, round table discussions, and perspectives from women leaders in a panel discussion. All are welcome.
- Explain terms such as imposter syndrome, bias, and ally-ism and how they impact on women in the profession.
- Identify strategies to create inclusive workplace environments.
- Identify ways to improve negotiation skills in work and life.
CANCELLED - Essential Success Enabling Skills™ - Clearly Communicate Through Writing - CANCELLED
Well-developed writing skills set engineers apart and enable career success. Unfortunately, most engineers lack essential writing skills. This short course, based upon the Academic Competencies tier of the Engineering Competency Model, will focus on how to organize your thoughts, proper mechanics, and the tone of professional writing. Topics include:
- How to create emails, letters, and reports that communicate effectively
- Use of standard syntax, sentence structure, and grammar
- How to create legible handwritten communications
- The use of plain, appropriate language for the intended audience
Most importantly, participants will learn how to communicate professionally and courteously, showing insight, perception, and depth in their writing. Attend this short course to master your professional writing skills.